In 2014 our National Organization established work teams identifying five goals to be used on all levels within our organization. The Departments were to define initiatives and expected outcomes. We (Colorado) have done that and the committee submitted paperwork to National and was awarded $900 to be used to help implement our Centennial Strategic Plan in Colorado.
Why a Centennial Plan? The vision for what we want to be by our 100th Anniversary.
Vision: By 2019, the American Legion Auxiliary’s million members will be making a difference for veterans and their families in every neighborhood
“As a family we are working for our vets.” This year our focus as an organization is to work together with our American Legion Family using the 5 goals to assure the American Family will be here in the future as a relevant organization which supports our nation’s veterans, active duty military and their families, youth and children, and our communities.
Department of Colorado Centennial Strategic Planning Goals:
Goal 1: Enhance Membership Strength
• Invest in opportunities to attract, engage, and retain
• Engage and strengthen membership that represents the diversity of our U.S. military
• Create multiple pathways to serve
• Excel at communication
• Expand internal and external alliances
Goal 2: Create an Internal Culture of Goodwill
• Enable members at all levels to demonstrate goodwill to internal and external audiences
• Define, cultivate, sustain, and implement best practices to fulfill the ALA’s Core Values
• Build trust within the American Legion Auxiliary and with the American Legion
Goal 3: Develop Leadership at All Levels
• Remove barriers for considering and selecting leadership
• Define and build leadership capacity
• Invest resources in identifying and developing leadership
• Reward innovative leadership recruitment and development practices
Goal 4: Strengthen Departments and Units
• Build capacity of all departments and units to be effective
• Optimize mission delivery
• Support departments in the development of their strategic plans
• Collaborate with departments in developing innovative ways to improve organizational and financial performance
• Invest in training at all levels
Goal 5: With The American Legion, Build Brand Loyalty
• Define our brand identity and promise
• Build awareness and preference for the American Legion Auxiliary brand
• Invest in internal and external marketing and communications
• Recognize brand loyalty and excellence in promoting the ALA brand
What is this committee asking of each unit in Colorado? We need your help!
Next Steps for Units:
The Committee is asking the units to use the Centennial Strategic Plan form to create an action plan for their unit. Each unit should be using the 5 goals, These 5 goals will help each unit become a stronger unit and create a stronger Colorado for the future.
- Create a committee and complete the Centennial Strategic Plan Form. Set goals for your unit for the upcoming year. If 5 seems overwhelming, focus on 3.
Please submit your completed Centennial Strategic Plan Form for 2017/2018 to this committee by Nov 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy department. This information will be used for Midyear Reporting.
- Encourage all members to take the newly created online class available on the National Website,
- Implement the 5 goals throughout your activities and keep all information to be submitted for yearend reporting and recognition at Yearend Convention. Submit a write-up of activities your unit did through the year supporting/implementing the 5 goals. Please submit this report to email@example.com copying department by March 30.
Again this year above information is being distributed at Fall Conferences. Included in the Fall Package is the Centennial Strategic Plan Form.
Please reach out with any questions to Committee Chair Bettina Kossow at firstname.lastname@example.org.